- Listen carefully to the complaint and to the particular concerns expressed.
- Take time to reflect on the complaint and consider how valid the issues raised are. You must also recognise that if someone feels harassed, this is how they feel, even if this is not what was intended.
- Avoid all but necessary communication with the complainant until there is a negotiated mediation and you understand the best steps forward.
- You are likely to need advice and support to understand the complaint. Find a way to discuss the matter with someone you trust, such as a manager, or someone identified by them, Student Support or People Services.
- If you feel you are being unjustly accused, consider asking for mediation from People Services or Student Support. Supported informal discussions involving you, the person alleging ill-treatment, and a trained mediator may enable you to discuss the issues and find a way forward.
Students who are concerned about their behaviour can speak to their:
Student Support Team
Employee Assistance Programme